Are you planning to go for mountain biking with your family or friends? You will comfortably be able to bring your own bikes using the best bike rack Jeep Wrangler.
Quick Comparison: Best Bike Rack For Jeep Wrangler
[tcb-script src=”https://api.tablelabs.com/t/dnkhvogu.js” defer=””][/tcb-script]
Best Bike Rack Jeep Wrangler Reviews & Buying Guide
If you are a fan of camping, then this is something that you should consider adding to your plans. It is a quite simple and safe way of transporting your bikes regardless of the destination. You have several options to consider.
1. Allen Sports 4-Bike Hitch Racks
This is a quick install rack that will securely hold your bikes without the need for fastening tools.
- Quick install locking hitch: This allows you to tighten the locking knob into the receiver hitch for a wobble-free and secure fitting.
- Individual tie-down system: This feature enables you to fasten a wide range of bicycle frames using fixed tie-downs to secure and protect your bikes
- Folding carry arms: You can fold down the carry arms on this rack when you are not carrying any bikes on your vehicle.
- Tilt away mainmast: The rack has a mainmast that can easily be tilted back and forth to provide convenient lift gate access when attached to your vehicle.
- Fits 2” receiver hitches
- Weight capacity: 140 lb (Up to 4 bikes)
- Dimensions: 26 x 3.5 x 14 inches
- Weight: 22 pounds
- Easy to assemble and attach
- Made of durable steel
- Compact fit to your vehicle
- Carry arms can be folded when not in use
- Rust resistant
- Using four full size bicycles for this rack is difficult
Video: Installing the No Wobble Bolt on a Allen Sports Hitch Rack
2. ROLA 59400 TX Hitch Mount Two-Bike Carrier with Tilt & Security
This could be a good choice if you are only going to carry two bikes. It offers you a secure way to transport bikes due to its dual-arm stable support. It can tilt as well as fold down for ease of vehicle access even with bikes loaded.
- Anti-sway rollers
- Retractable cable cord for security
- Dual-arm support
- Optional additional ground clearance
- Largemouth cradles to fit various frames
- Folding arms when not in use
- Optional telescope tube for level transportation
- Capacity: Two bikes
- 1-1/4 flip shank
- Dimensions: 36 x 19 x 5 inches
- Weight: 30.6 pounds
- Easier to install
- Compact fit to the back of your vehicle
- Flat storage
- Most only hold bikes using a top bar
- Bikes can touch thus cause damage to each other if there is no anti-swing strap
Video: ROLA 59400 TX Hitch Mount 2-Bike Carrier with Tilt & Security
3. Mopar TSPRO963 Jeep Wrangler Liberty Spare Tire Bicycle Carrier
This is a heavy-duty bike rack that is designed to carry up to 2 bicycles as well as a spare tire. The spare tire rack is not detectable when the rack is not in use.
You will be able to attach the rack using a bolt-on your vehicle’s tire, thus securing it into position.
- Long support arm
- Ideal for a wide wrangler range
- Bolt lock feature
- Weight capacity: 60 lb
- Weight: 18 pounds
- Dimensions: 41 x 19 x 4 inches
- Two bikes
- Easy to fit
- Quite stable and sturdy
- Compact fit to the back of your vehicle
- Hinders access to the trunk
Video: Jeep Mopar Spare Tire Bicycle Carrier
4. Hollywood Racks Bolt-On Spare Tire Rack
This bike rack can easily be attached using mounting bolts to the spare tire using a universally adaptable plate. It fits various bolt patterns and spare tires of up to 12 wide.
You will be able to center the support arms of this rack for side-mounted tires and fold them when unused. It can safely carry two bikes with the help of an integrated strap and a lock that secures the frame to the vehicle.
- Universal adapter plate
- Mounting bolts
- Hand tightening knob
- Extension brackets
- Adjustable support arms
- Weight capacity: 70 lb (2 bikes)
- Dimensions: 31 x 5.5 x 11 inches
- Weight: 24.2 pounds
- Easy to attach
- Perfect fit to the vehicle
- Access to the trunk
Video: Review of the Hollywood-Racks SR2
5. Thule Upride Roof Bike Rack
This is a versatile bike rack that will enable you to carry various bike designs without a hustle. This is because there is no frame contact as the hook is attached to the front wheel. It can carry 20-29 wheel bicycles with three wide tires. The bike rack locks the bicycle separately to the vehicle.
- Easy interface: You can easily switch the carrier from one side of the vehicle to the other
- Versatile design: It fits non-conventional frame designs, bottle cages as well as the rear suspension and is suitable for carbon frames.
- Separate locking capability: It locks the bike to the rack and the rack to the car separately.
- No frame contact
- The bike is attached with a hook that secures the front wheel
- Weight capacity: 44 lb
- Product dimensions: 66 x 14 x 6 inches
- Weight: 17 lb
- You are able to use the rearview mirror
- Guards bikes from damaging the car or themselves
- Access to the trunk
- Bikes are not secure as there is no lock
- You need to lift the bikes higher
- Allows the transport of only one bike
Video: Review of the Thule Roof-Bike-Racks on a 2015 Jeep Patriot
6. Allen Sports Premier 2-Bike Spare Tire Rack, S302
This is a quick-setup bike rack that can comfortably carry two bicycles mounted on the spare tire of your vehicle. You will be able to secure and protect the bikes with dual-compound tie-downs that come with it. It has a wide bottom foot that enables equal distribution of the bike’s weight to your spare tire.
- Quick set up frame: You can fix the Allen sports rack into place right out of the box and also easily fold it flat when not in use
- Open frame design: It can be mounted on most rear tires owing to its innovative design
- Wide bottom foot: This enables it to support the weight of the bikes and rack to the spare tire
- Quick secure straps: These straps will allow you to secure the bikes regardless of the tube size swiftly.
- Dual compound cradle: A soft cradle bed on this rack helps protect your bikes during transport with the help of tie-downs
- Weight capacity: 70 lb (2 bikes)
- Weight: 11.6 pounds
- Quick set up
- Secure and stable attachment to the vehicle
- Less expensive
- Does not allow access to the trunk
Video: Allen S302 & 322DN Spare Tire Rack
Things To Consider When Choosing The Best Bike Rack For A Jeep Wrangler
There are various factors that you should bear in mind when choosing bike racks. The one you pick must be compatible with your vehicle and bike, as well as the circumstances surrounding your need to transport. You will have to consider the following:
The maximum transportable weight is the most critical factor that should influence your choice.The higher the limit, the better. However, if you plan to travel alone or at most in two, you will need to purchase a bike rack that can easily withstand the weight of two bicycles, so around 70 lb.
Usually, the platform racks are heavier than other designs, but they provide more benefits. With the front and rear wheel resting on the platform, it is unlikely that your bikes will sway during transport. This type of rack enables you to carry different bike designs at once. This design eliminates damaging the bike’s frame and is ideal for fat-tire bikes. You are able to load several bikes on this hitch mount design with ease. It also leaves enough space between the bikes, thus reducing the damage from colliding frames. Trunk mounts are usually lighter and easy to use.
Most of the trunk-mounted racks offer little ability to secure your bikes. It is easy for them to be stolen by just cutting the straps. This makes the roof racks more reliable in terms of security. You are also not going to worry about damaging your bike or vehicle as they are attached using the tires. Basically, you should consider where the bikes will be positioned and how they are fastened to the car and rack.
You should be able to access all the parts that require cleaning on both the bike and vehicle. The roof rack may not pose any hindrance in cleaning your vehicle. However, since most of the dirt accumulates at the back, then you should consider choosing an easy to install rack if you want to place it there. This will give you the ease of access to your trunk.
Ease of use
The manner in which you are able to install the bike rack to your vehicle, and the way you load your bikes onto the rack is important. If you don’t want complications in the assembly and loading them a rack such as the Allen Sport will suit you just fine. Loading multiple bikes to the frame needs to be stress-free; thus, this is a matter to consider if you have more than one bike.
The safety of your bikes and comes in many forms. Roof racks can expose your bikes to the risk of hitting low obstacles such as garage doors or branches. Hanging bike racks, on the other hand, have a swinging front wheel which can be a bit problematic if you don’t have an anti-swinging mechanism. You also have to ensure that your bikes are adequately secured on the roof or trunk to avoid any damages to them as well as other motorists.
Overall Online Reviews: What Do Online Customers Say?
These Jeep Wrangler bike racks are renowned for their reliability by many bikers.
A satisfied user of the Allen Sports 4-racks has been using it for almost three years without regret. He rarely takes it off his jeep and is overwhelmed by its ability to withstand constant sun exposure. He is even able to combine it with a ski board rack during winter.
A Hollywood rack that has been in use for over a year is yet to show any signs of rust or wear. The user is impressed by its durability and the way it folds small. The same person gave another review after five years with the same praises. Yes, the rust and wear are evident, but besides that, it still hauls bikes comfortably. The cradle arms that fold when not in use and extend for use are an excellent feature for many users of this bike rack. The best part is that it does not hinder you from opening the tailgate. The door just swings open with the bike and rack on board.
The Rola bike carrier does not attract as much tribute as it is not as sturdy as the others. It tends to be wobbly and could snap if you are on rough terrain or exceed its carrying capacity. As such, it seems more logical to carry one bike on it instead of two. This is not a rack for off-roaders with mountain bikes as it has narrow cradles. So, if you love dirt roads, it is not an item you would place high on your list of priorities.
The Thule roof rack is a great bike rack that secures the bike tight even at high speed. However, if you do not secure the bike properly, it can easily fall off and may cause damages to your vehicle. There is also the probability that you might find your bicycle missing since it does not have a lockable wheel arm. It is easy to install.
The Allen SP2 is quite easy to mount on the back of a jeep. If you are going off-road, then this rack will secure your bikes correctly. It is an ideal option for those with a spare tire as it fits perfectly regardless of the size. Many happy customers exalt this bike rack as being a good value for the price. It is a sturdy rack which swings open together with the rear door.
Allen Sports 4-Bike Hitch Rack
Can a girls bike, without cross bar be installed on this rack?
You will probably have to use an adaptor if the bike does not have a conventional top tube. Allen Sports sells one:
Allen Sports Tension Bar Bicycle Cross-Bar Adaptor, Model 900BIs it suitable for long road trips with four bikes?Yes, if weight limits are respected, the comments of those who tried it state that this rack is very durable and allows you to travel without problems.
Does it fit 4 mountain bikes without problems?
Yes.Does it fit a RAV4 with a standard rear spare wheel?Yes, but not without a hitch extender.
Is this rack suitable for a 1998 Honda CRV?Yes, it fits the cars with a spare wheel on the back door.It is not clear if the Mopar folds when not in use.Yes, it folds down.
Hollywood Racks Bolt-On Spare Tire Rack
Could the rack arms obstruct the brake lights?No, the back support on the rack is well designed and does not obstruct the lights.Can this bike rack hold two electric bikes (130 lb)?Certainly not, this rack is not designed to carry e-bikes, for a total weight of 70 lb.
Thule Upride Roof Bike Rack
Can this rack hold a BMX bike?Yes, it is adjustable and adapts to different tire sizes.
Allen Sports Premier 2-Bike Spare Tire Rack, S302
Can the rack be fixed with the soft cover on the spare wheel?Yes, it fits perfectly, without problems.Will it fit a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited?Yes, it fits all Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with standard wheels.
Conclusion and Best Offer
A preferable rack is one that can comfortably haul more bikes and can be mounted safely. It has to have a secure lock to keep it safe. It should not be heavy and be easy to install.
The bike rack that fits this description is the Allen Sports 4-Bike Hitch Rack.
This rack can fit perfectly on various SUVs, and it keeps the gear secure during travel since it is stable and sturdy. It has a pocket-friendly price that is great value for the service.
It is always wise to have a backup plan just in case you are not satisfied with the first option. One of the most revered alternatives is the Hollywood Racks Bolt-On Spare Tire Rack. Unlike the Allen Sport, this model attaches to the spare tire.
Hollywood Racks Bolt-On Spare Tire Rack
It is easy to mount on the spare wheel, and you can adjust the brackets to fit the tire. The rubber cradles and folding support arms in conjunction with a secure lock and safety strap make it a worthy model to opt for. This way, you can narrow down your quest for an ideal bike rack of your choice.